One is silver and the other is gold...
I always thought that second half of the stanza was dumb because I honestly think all friends are gold in their own special way.
I have come to realize this month that there will never be that one person who fulfills every expectation you have....but instead you have a cornicopia of unique human beings of which when put together you have a completed perfect friend :)
I've realized within the past month that I have put high standards on some of my friends. I always expect things from them, when a true friend should expect nothing but them being themselves.
I've realized that I just need to accept them for who they are, for their strengths and most especially for their weaknesses.
I've realized that no matter how many of them disappoint me, there is always one person out there who is willing and will pick me back up. And thankfully, if that person lets me down...I have Jesus!! The bestest friend in the world! :D
The more I step back and appreciate my friends for all that they are...I realize that each one of my friends are there for certain reasons....and sometimes I expect them to have the same quality as another friend, but in the end....they are all unique.
There is one that I can always vent to about anything and she will never get mad, and she almost always understands; there is one who tends to go through the same exact emotions/situations as I do, at the same exact time; there is one who is always supportive of me, even when I don't deserve it; there is one who is protective of me and always keeps me accountable, even if it's harsh criticism; there is one who will always laugh at my jokes; there is one who will comfort and encourage me even if I don't accept it; there is the one where no matter how many times we fight, we will always love each other; there is the one who can always make me feel happy; there is the one who always makes me feel empowered and ready to conquer the world; there is the one who always knows how to make me laugh, even when I am in tears; there is the one who I can be a complete slob around and they still will take me seriously; there is the one that brightens up my day just by being the room with me; there are those ones who I will always love deeply even though we have drifted apart; and then there are those friends I can not talk to for months, but once we get going on a conversation it's as if we had never stopped being best friends. (And I have recently found someone who I believe is the Yin to my Yang in personality! :D)
And I know I have way more friends than just those types.
And I think the most important realization that I've had....is that I should quit focusing on the faults of my friends....and focus more on the reason(s) why I am friends with them and why I appreciate their friendship and continue to be friends with them. Because when I focus on that....I am not wasting my time moping about why they are disappointing me.
All in all...I really truly do appreciate my friends. And I hope they all know that. Each one of them helps complete me in their own special way. :)
If you are my friend and you are reading this.....I love and appreciate you :)
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment